Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Something new!


I bought some 4 ply superwashed merino lamb's wool yarn in a big old cone over the internet. I wound off about 100 grams around the back of a diningroom chair and made a hank. I let it soak in room temp water with some vinegar for as long as it took me to run to the store to get some Kool-Aid. I wanted green and blue but that store didn't have any so I used lemonade and watermelon/kiwi. I put the two ends into ziplock baggies and pour one color in each end and left the center white except for splotching some of each color into the middle. I then put it all into a microwaveable casserole dish and zapped it for 2 minutes, cooled for 2 minutes, and repeated twice more. After cooling it to room temperature, I washed the hank in dishsoap but no color came out in the water. After rinsing, I hung it to air dry. Then wound it into balls.

I had already decided to make it into a variation of Monkey Socks by Cookie A.

And here they are. I'm not crazy about the way they striped but next time I'll change the way I dye the yarn so that the color is more mottled. Plus I found blue and green. The socks only weigh a little over 70 grams so I have enough left over to make a little pair for some unsuspecting baby.

No comments: